Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Jack London Story


To many of you I have relayed information that I am a relative of the great author Jack London, famous author of "Call of the Wild", "The Sea Wolf", and about 55 other novels and a variety of short stories and poetry. Over the years I have collected about 70 books that London wrote including numerous 1st editions. Many of you also know that my family has taken the Jack London name and our relation to him pretty seriously as my dad is named "Jack London Brenner", my name is "Corey London Brenner", and now my son's name is "Jackson London Brenner".

Recently I have refueled my efforts to trace family history, look through family trees, and really start researching again how I am exactly related to this great author. This week I have found some very interesting information that puts Jack London's father, John London, living in Moscow, IA which is only a few miles from where I grew up. See the link below for the article explaining his prescence in Iowa and his time spent there working on bridges over the Cedar River. This is all pretty excited for me that I can actually trace his father to being that close to where I live. I will be in touch with more information as if progresses. If any of you ever have a chance to read the works of Jack London you will enjoy his books that really chronicle the adventures of his life.

Link to the story of John London, Jack London's Father: http://london.sonoma.edu/Family/Johnlondon.html

In about 3 weeks I will be going to San Jose, CA and I hope to visit the ranch and gravesite where Jack London lived and was ultimately buried. I hope to find out some answers to my questions while I am there. The search for information continues, sometimes I feel like I hit the end of the road in the search with no answers but the further I dig I always happen to find another bit of information that keeps the search going.

I leave you this week with a famous Jack London quote....

“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”

No comments: